Amazon.com: Casio Men's MTG900DA-8V G-Shock MT-G Atomic Tough Solar Watch: Casio: Watches

Amazon.com: Casio Men's MTG900DA-8V G-Shock MT-G Atomic Tough Solar Watch: Casio: Watches: "This Casio G-Shock digital watch offers a stylishly rugged look, world-savvy features ideal for business or adventure, and a durable design. The watch's atomic timekeeping calibrates the displayed time with radio signals to ensure a high level of accuracy, and the tough solar power offers a battery life of approximately 11 months on full charge without further exposure to light. The watch is built with a round stainless steel bezel, stainless steel case, and a stylish stainless steel band with a fold-over push-button clasp. The digital window shows the time in a bold central display, with world time settings for up to 29 time zones (30 cities), daylight savings option, and a city code display. The digital window also conveniently shows the day of the week above and the month and date below, automatically pre-programmed through 2099. The battery power level and calibration signal reception are indicated on the sides. This watch also offers four daily alarms and one snooze alarm, a time recorder, a 1/100 second stopwatch function, and a handy automatic EL backlight with afterglow. Specially designed for shock resistance and water resistant up to 660 feet."

Casio Men's MTG900DA-8V G-Shock MT-G Atomic Tough Solar Watch review: It's very big and shiny, and does it all, By John E. Vidale "conventional Earth scientist" (Seattle, WA USA)
I surveyed vast field of digital choices before getting the watch a month ago, and I'm well satisfied. Most digital watches (as opposed to analog with hour and minute hands) are ugly, IMO, so my surveying has mainly been frustrating. I found a nice line of digital Casio Edifices, with big digits and glimmering colorful faces, which served for a while, but has apparently been discontinued a year or two ago, and my last one quit working two months ago.

I bought this watch, grimacing at the price, just because it wasn't particularly ugly and had big digits, but it exceeded my meager expectations. The manual was a bit of a slog - it took about 20 minutes to read, but well worth it.

The features are outstanding - about 5 alarms, one of which can be set for snooze alarms, the expected stop watch, easy access to Greenwich Meridian Time, markers for noting times, a backlight, waterproof enough for scuba diving (not that I dive).

The special features include checking with a radio signal daily so the time is always correct (important for catching my buses and winning arguments about what time it really is), solar power (so run-down batteries should never be a problem), and backlighting that turns on when one turns one's wrist (surprisingly convenient). A nice touch is when one cycles back to the time, the watch gives a different unobtrusive beep.

There are other features available on other watches - tape recorders, flash drives, altimeters, compasses, but none that sound remotely useful in the long run.

I had to shorten the well-built wriststrap by 5 or 6 links, a little tricky, but any watch shop could do it in 5 minutes.

If you want a big, full-featured, easy-to-read and operate digital watch, this is the one, and I've surveyed most of them.

Post originally written mid-January, this added 2-25-07: I've found there might be problems with battery life, or maybe it is just the Seattle winter. I've had to leave my watch sometimes under a light when the power get low, and changing the battery can only be done by Casio, according to one watch shop. Also, the price on the watch is coming down quickly to more reasonable levels. I still like it a lot, despite having to juice it up from time to time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I found your post really helpful. It helped me all the way in completing my assignment for Casio Sheen Swarovski Elements Watch Model - SHE-4505D-7ADR, I am also giving a reference link of your blog in my case study. Thanks for posting such informative content. Keep posting

    ReplyDelete

My Blog This | Blog Informasi Teknologi | Cell Phone Blog | Phones and Accessories | Ponsel Baru | Buyers Guide